Friday, March 25, 2011

Summer '10

Part of me had forgotten something.  Something that was painful to lose so it's better to not think of it too much.  So maybe it's not so much of forgetting than suppressing memories.  Kari jarred me out of my joyous lassitude after a trip to a car show in the spring of 2009.  We had gone to the Good Guys Del Mar Nationals in April 2009 and up until and including that trip going to car events just dredged up that painful realization that I had sold my car that I loved from high school, my 1968 Camaro.  In hindsight, selling it was the right decision, it needed much too much work for me to be able to handle.  At the time, parts were hard to come by as well (pre internet commerce explosion).  So when Kari asked if I wanted to get another car, it took a bit of convincing myself that it's something we could do again.  Now that the final piece of the puzzle was obtained: owning a house where I could work on it, I was ready to get back into the game.  This happened in late 2009 and we started looking.

eBay picture
In early June of 2010, Kari found 1968 Camaro for sale on eBay.  After looking at the photos, considering the price (lower than we've seen elsewhere and for more car), I decided to call the seller.  We agreed to come up and take a look at it.  One familiar car trip later saw Kari and I at Marc and Holly's for the evening where we would leave from in the morning to check out the car in Atascadero just north of San Luis Obispo.  I looked over the car and looked at all the trouble spots where the first generation Camaros all have issues and didn't see any problems.  The body was straight, no rust visible except for the roof pieces where the headliner attaches (all easily replaced).  Going up there was the right decision as the seller was willing to take an addition $1000 off the price and also threw in a core for the 700r4 transmission I was going to be putting in it to replace the 2-speed Powerglide (which is on its way out).  I gave the seller some money as a down to secure the purchase and we headed back home with very wide grins.

(Yes, happy... and yes, I know: 1967 tail lights on a 1968)










 My Camaro has returned home.

No comments:

Post a Comment